Driver of the Month March 2004
“To think that I actually printed your newbie auto-x tips just 3 years ago and now I’ll be the driver of the month… It means allot Perry… Thank you.”, Corey Ridgick
I personally want to congratulate Corey on his driving efforts so far in 2004 and in previous years, he has a great start to the ’04 season, Good Luck to you… Perry
City/State: Allentown, PA
Profession: Physical Design Engineering (Electrical)
- What year did you first get interested in (or start) autocrossing?
- What kind of car do you compete with, what class do you compete in, and what are its particular strong suits in your opinion?
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS. STS. Torque is the RS’s strong point. No matter how tight the turn or how low the RPM, the car is always ready.
- How much of the sport do you think is attributed to driver skill vs. car setup?
What can I say about this? A good driver can do well in an underprepared car, but still isn’t going to win anything meaningful. However, a well prepared car with an un-skilled driver isn’t going to win anything at all. I believe that it takes a combination of both to really be competitive, with more emphasis on driving skill. It took me a long time to get my car set-up the way it is, and it’s still being tweeked, then again so is my driving.
- What is it about autocrossing that keeps you interested?
Competition. I’ve always been a competitive person in everything I do. Autocrossing is the one thing that I’ve found that you can go to and be competitive every time, even if you aren’t the best. You can go to an event and compete for 10th place, and if you were 11th last time, it feels like a million bucks.
- Do you constantly critique yourself during your runs or after the event?
Every time. I know where I left time on every course. It haunts me sometimes. I only think about the parts that I screwed up, never the parts that I got right… it’s just how I am.
- How do you feel after a fast, clean run?
You mean the kind when your heart is racing, you are out of breath, and don’t know how you got that way in just 50 seconds, your head is pounding in your helmet and you just want to scream?
- Would you consider expanding your skills to wheel to wheel racing?
Absolutely! Although I will stick with auto-xing for the near future, unless someone has a big chunk of change that they want to drop into a fledgling race car driver…
- Have you ever tried to get a company to sponsor you? Were you successful?
RedShift Motorsports is my sponsor. RedShift has been great to me and they even offered to buy me a new car and set it up for me for the 2004 season. I’m going to hold off on their offer to see if something better comes up.
- Is it only the driving aspect that entices you to go autocrossing?
Of course not. The people, the competition, the money. Really it’s the money that keeps me coming back to auto-x. It’s like a second job really, I will probably retire early with all the money that I’m making racing the Subaru.
- What trophies or titles have you won?
- 2002 Philly Series 1st place SM
- 2003 Philly Series 1st place STS
- 2002 Rome Tour trophy 3rd in STX
- 2003 Toledo Tour trophy 5th STS
- 2003 Subaru Challenge Richmond 1st STS
- 2003 Subaru Challenge Richmond 1st place SuperStar challenge.
- 2003 Philly Region Driver of the Year
- 2003 National Championships 15th of 50 in STS
- 2004 Atlanta ProSolo 2nd STS
- 2004 Atlanta ProSolo Honda Street Challenge winner
- 2004 Ft. Myers Tour trophy 2nd STS
- What is your primary goal for the 2004 season?
To win a National Tour, to place 3rd or better in the ProSolo championship, to bring home wood from the National Championships.
- If you could have ANY autocross ride imaginable, what would it be and why?
ESP Lancer EVO VIII. Because I want to show the Subaru’s a thing or two about a quick steering ratio. Nah, I’ve wanted an EVO since before they came to the states. The first one I drove was thanks to Chris Woolard and I’ll never forget it… the car drove itself. Hands down, its the best car I’ve ever taken a run in.
- What is your official source for all things autocross in the Northeast?
Hahaha, is this a radio station? autox4u.com